Thank You !

I just wanted to add a quick note to thank everyone for their messages and comments. Your words are fueling me everyday as I work my way across this great country. I take nothing for granted; I know how fortunate I am. I count on you not only for my charities but to be with me in spirit everyday of this ride. I look forward to the days ahead and hope you are all doing well.

Update: REY DID IT! Friday, July 25, at 12:42 p.m., Rey arrived at Little Island Park in Virginia Beach, Va., completing his 3,700 mile journey. He was greeted by friends, co-workers and a group of more than 20 children from three local Boys & Girls Clubs, who thanked him for his fundraising. Congratulations to Rey for an incredible ride!

Monday, July 7, 2008

July 7th — Scott City, KS to Larned, KS — 118 miles This morning we got underway at 6:30 a.m. Rest days are great, but it makes it tougher to get going again mentally. When I woke up, I noticed the wind was whipping up pretty good. It came out of the southwest to the northeast at about 15 to 20 mph. When we started out I had a cross wind slightly at my back: Since I was headed east it was in my favor, at least for a while. I was able to push out 20 to 22 mph for the entire morning. In Kansas the scenery is full of gold wheat fields already harvested for the year and green corn fields about knee high. Also, cattle grazing and feeding are huge here, and you can pass thousands of them in a day. I can see 2o miles ahead of me. The plains are amazing with beautiful gold and green fields as far as the eye can see. It is actually very calming to look at since you can see for miles and miles at a time.

After lunch we had to turn south for about 20 miles. Ouch! The wind was in my face and reduced my speed to about 10 mph. We arrived in Larned at 3:30 p.m. and passed by Ft. Larned, another military outpost to guard the Santa Fe Trail in the mid to late 1800's. We toured the fort and then headed to the RV park for some rest. The temperature today was 106 degrees with the heat index, but it's still a dry air so I didn't feel too bad all day. 6.5 hours on the bike today.

4 comments:

Shyam Kannan said...

plenty of water in that hot, dry, air, rey! keep up the amazing work - we're following your every step, er, uh, pedal, from back in dc!

-shyam and sharmila

Anonymous said...

Dude,

These guys have nothing on you...


Vive la France!
American Will Frischkorn was oh-so-close, but Samuel Dumoulin had the legs to win the stage while fellow Frenchman Romain Feillu took over the yellow jersey.

Stage 3 Results:
S. Dumoulin - Cofidis 5:05:27
W. Frischkorn - Garmin-Chipotle +0:00
Romain Feillu - Agritubel +0:00


Overall General Classification:
R. Feillu - Agritubel 13:27:05
P. Longo Borghini - Barloworld +0:35
W. Frischkorn - Garmin-Chipotle +1:42

Ride safe...

Anonymous said...

Uncle Rey, Taylor C your favorite nephew. haha.

I hope you guys are doing fine. I know you'll make it if you give 100% all the way.
I just wanted to send you a message from me to give you a push. Tell Megan and Auntie Joanie and Buster I said Hi. I wish you the best of luck. See you in August. Bye :)

Anonymous said...

WOW! We finally joined your ride via your amazing blog and wish you the best all the way to the finish. We're proud to know you! Now keep pedalling...

-Jon and Connie