Thank You !

I just wanted to add a quick note to thank everyone for their messages and comments. Your words are fueling me everyday as I work my way across this great country. I take nothing for granted; I know how fortunate I am. I count on you not only for my charities but to be with me in spirit everyday of this ride. I look forward to the days ahead and hope you are all doing well.

Update: REY DID IT! Friday, July 25, at 12:42 p.m., Rey arrived at Little Island Park in Virginia Beach, Va., completing his 3,700 mile journey. He was greeted by friends, co-workers and a group of more than 20 children from three local Boys & Girls Clubs, who thanked him for his fundraising. Congratulations to Rey for an incredible ride!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

July 14th — Chester, IL to Elizabethtown, IL — 133 miles We are working our way towards the Ohio River today, and there's more rolling terrain to pass through to get there. Southern Illinois is very green with small farms and corn fields throughout. The terrain isn't difficult. It just slows your speed with hills every mile. But they are easily ascended, and there's a nice, small descent to counter the short climbs. Temperatures have been in the high 80s, and the humidity is low. Basically, the past few days have been the best weather you can think of for biking.

We were looking to overnight at a campground called Tower Rock on the banks of the Ohio River. To our amazement it was closed. This is a state campground and it was closed, very strange. On our way to the campground I noticed a sign, "Cedar Hill River Resort", so we checked it out . To our great surprise we found an awesome property on the banks of the Ohio River. I have never seen this type of scenery on a river: the Ohio River is enormous and amazing to see. The property was as nice a resort as any I have been to: green grass to the river banks and trees to give you plenty of shade. The nicest people live there. I met a few neighbors next to the resort, and they are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet. The resort actually rents out cabins, pristine knotty pine cabins with hot tubs. Not what we expected at the end of our day. Owner Mike Tipsord was warm and friendly and made sure we were comfortable and that our needs were met. If you ever get to the Elizabethtown area near Cave in Rock, you should check out this resort. Mike, if you are reading this, thanks for great time and a wonderful place to stay. Too bad it was only for one night.

I haven't mentioned an interesting nuisance I have been encountering the last week: dogs, dogs and more dogs. I have been chased by about a dozen or so in the last week from eastern Missouri into Illinois, especially since the fields have become smaller and homes are closer to the streets. Out in the country dogs roam free, and I have seen dogs that looked like they were on their own and running wild. Most dogs start off with the intention of chasing me down; they get to a full run and either don't have the energy or hit their territory line and just quit. Fortunately for those dogs who do have the will to take it to the end, I have been in a fortunate situation where I can accelerate and get away, look back and laugh at them. On one occasion however, I was going up a hill and heard the bark. I said to myself, "Well this is it, he's got me," only to look back and see the dog pull up and turn around. What a bogus chase! Come on, man, finish the job! Fortunately for me, no dog has caught me yet. I am very alert, and will be ready for the next Cujo. Hey, lets face it: If a dog has it in his DNA to get me, then he will. Lucky for me, most don't know that. 9 hours on the bike today.

No comments: