Thank You !

I just wanted to add a quick note to thank everyone for their messages and comments. Your words are fueling me everyday as I work my way across this great country. I take nothing for granted; I know how fortunate I am. I count on you not only for my charities but to be with me in spirit everyday of this ride. I look forward to the days ahead and hope you are all doing well.

Update: REY DID IT! Friday, July 25, at 12:42 p.m., Rey arrived at Little Island Park in Virginia Beach, Va., completing his 3,700 mile journey. He was greeted by friends, co-workers and a group of more than 20 children from three local Boys & Girls Clubs, who thanked him for his fundraising. Congratulations to Rey for an incredible ride!

Sunday, July 13, 2008

July 11th — Willard, MO to Eminence, MO — 142 miles We departed early this morning with one goal in mind: to make Eminence (which would put us one day ahead of schedule so we could build an extra rest day in St Louis). We have been adding on about 25 to 30 miles for the last 3 days to have a chance at this. We are pushing through wonderful scenery of small rural residential communities with horses or cows grazing in the front or back yards of these homes. There are rolls of hay in the green fields and rolling hills in the background. It seems like this is a beautiful place to live if you like the country, but services are few and far between.

The secondary roads in Missouri are narrow with very little or no shoulder so I am being extra careful of vehicles and making sure I am not getting in the motorists’ way, although in some spots it is rather impossible. I have been taught and read that it is wiser to take more road so that you are in better view of the motorists, and they pass you with more care. I do believe in that theory and have been testing it out a little to see what motorists do, and I can tell you that the more you stay to the right the more they will pass you with higher speeds and get closer to you at the same time. But if I take another foot of road to the left, vehicles will slow down and take more care in passing you. Sometimes this theory doesn't work though and you may put yourself in more danger by applying this technique in the wrong areas. Either way, I try to feel out a road and make my decisions hour by hour depending on the terrain of the road, volume of traffic and just the feel of how vehicles are treating me.

At the end of this ride, about 5 miles before Eminence, I was greeted by a 12+% grade climb, not a fun thing to do when you have 135 miles under your belt. I made it up fine but was pretty much spent for the day. I think we have arrived in the Ozark mountains :). Just over 10 hours on the bike today.

2 comments:

BB said...

135...142????? geesh!!!!

Hey, you wanna do seagull century when you get back? sheesh...

Anonymous said...

Rey,

Great job, amazing journey, inspirational adventure. The stories and photos of your bike journey are truly amazing.

Am wondering if there's any way if those who may be helping you with the blog, can make an addition to it? Which is:

Can you add a view that shows the roads/routes you've taken thus far, and the planned routes you'll be taking on your way to Virginia Beach? Now that you're getting closer to the East Coast, it'd be a lot of fun to track how close you are each day.

Also, what day are you targeting to reach Virginia Beach, and where is your planned end-point at Virginia Beach? Is there a specific location? I looked for this info on the blog but for some reason couldn't find it.

Thanks and keep up the good work. I hope the hills and mountains of the Appalachians and Blue Ridge won't be too tough...the humidity is higher than the Rockies even if the altitude is lower!

An Anonymous Edelman Client