Thank You !

I just wanted to add a quick note to thank everyone for their messages and comments. Your words are fueling me everyday as I work my way across this great country. I take nothing for granted; I know how fortunate I am. I count on you not only for my charities but to be with me in spirit everyday of this ride. I look forward to the days ahead and hope you are all doing well.

Update: REY DID IT! Friday, July 25, at 12:42 p.m., Rey arrived at Little Island Park in Virginia Beach, Va., completing his 3,700 mile journey. He was greeted by friends, co-workers and a group of more than 20 children from three local Boys & Girls Clubs, who thanked him for his fundraising. Congratulations to Rey for an incredible ride!

Monday, July 28, 2008

July 25th — Franklin, VA to Virginia Beach, VA — 72 miles As we departed today, we had more than a few unknowns about our route. For instance, what would be the conditions of the highways we had to ride? To get into Virginia Beach, we had to take highways that would not exactly be the preferred choice for most bicyclists. In fact, very far from it.

There are few choices going west to east in this area, so it was necessary for us to gut it out for a few hours to get to the location we were hoping for in Sandbridge, VA. To get there we had to ride a a few highways with shoulders peppered with nails, glass, rocks and whatever else. Consequently we each had flat tire for a total of three in just a few hours. The flats slowed down our ride time but added a little bit more excitement to the day.

I tried to think about the trip in total as we entered the beach area. I was asked many times what kind of thoughts you might have knowing what you are about to accomplish, and for me, I guess the answer is many emotions. I had a flood of memories of the toughest moments as well as the most rewarding. As I was riding down the beach, my riding buddies suddenly stopped and let me go ahead to enjoy the moment. While I was looking at the Atlantic Ocean to my left, I had so many thoughts going through my head it was hard to think. Finally, I reached the point at the beach where my wife, daughter, parents, co-workers and about 20 kids from the local Boys and Girls Club were ready to greet me.

Well I made it! Then I had to finish the trip with the traditional dunking of the front wheel into the Atlantic. Once I reached the water, a feeling of satisfaction, accomplishment and euphoria flooded in. I had made a promise to myself before I began this trip that once I reached the Atlantic I would throw my bike into the ocean. When I finished, some co-workers reminded me of that. So not to disappoint anyone and to make good on the promise to myself, I flung my bike into the ocean and watched it sink....Ahh! I sort panicked knowing how expensive bikes are and quickly plucked it out of the ocean. 4.5 hours on the bike today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Rey!

You have accomplished your goal of riding across America. Wahoo! So what color jersey did they award you...un maillot de jaune ou rouge?
Glad to see that you and your family (Joan really knows how to drive that RV!)made it back safe and sound.

P.S. I hope you didn't damage your bike :-)

Anonymous said...

Rey: I saw the story on your big finish on the TV news.

Glad you remembered to plant a smooch on the wife. Always the gentleman!

Way to go on your unbelievable ride!