Thank You !

I just wanted to add a quick note to thank everyone for their messages and comments. Your words are fueling me everyday as I work my way across this great country. I take nothing for granted; I know how fortunate I am. I count on you not only for my charities but to be with me in spirit everyday of this ride. I look forward to the days ahead and hope you are all doing well.

Update: REY DID IT! Friday, July 25, at 12:42 p.m., Rey arrived at Little Island Park in Virginia Beach, Va., completing his 3,700 mile journey. He was greeted by friends, co-workers and a group of more than 20 children from three local Boys & Girls Clubs, who thanked him for his fundraising. Congratulations to Rey for an incredible ride!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

July 22nd — Rosedale, VA to Hillsville, VA — 122 miles When Joan and I talked about the route today, we knew that we had a lot of climbing ahead of us for the first 50 miles to finish getting over the Appalachian Mountains. What we didn't realize was how narrow the roads would be, and since Joan had to drive a 30-ft. RV it was really interesting as the morning progressed.

As I was making the first ascent over the mountains, I realized that the road was getting very narrow and eventually deteriorated to one lane. The route was paved but with no guard rails and a drop-off of a few hundred feet to the right. I was worrying a bit about Joan and the RV ahead of me. It turns out that at one point Joan had to make a tricky move to let opposing traffic get up the mountain as she was descending the other side. The grades were very steep (around 10%), and we didn't end our climb until we logged 55 miles and were finally over the range.

The second half of the day was rolling hills that became more level as we increased the distance from the mountains. We eventually arrived at Hillsville around 4:45 p.m. with one long day but feeling good about the fact we are 3 days away from the coast. 9 hours on the bike today.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to GO Rey & Joan! There's nothing more exciting than driving on a one lane road with an RV. Good to hear that the day went well after all of that. I can only imagine the stories you all have to tell (that didn't make the blog....LOL) Cheering you all home.

The Washingtons

Suzi Burns said...

Way to go, Roy family!!! My hat is off to you, Joan, for the tricky one-lane RV driving...I'd panic and abandon the vehicle , and run the opposite direction with my arms flailing if faced with that challenge! LOL Rey, I'm posting comments vicariously through Bryan's comments, but have been keeping tabs and pulling for you all along...Keep it up...only a few more days til you reach the "summit" !!! ( ps...this has been WAY more exciting than the Tour DAY France..... !!!! )

Brian Walker said...

Rey and Joan, Congratulations on your incredible journey. You're an inspiration to all of us. Now I can't complain about the couple hills on my bike ride across town to see mom. The pictures are great. Hope to see you in the near future.
Tour de France '09???
All our love,
Brian & Ivona Walker

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Rey!!

Anonymous said...

Gooooooooooo Rey! Seriously impressive. I'm sure when you crossed the VA border, it was a very exciting moment.

And when you hit Sandbridge, I hope you just run and jump into the ocean to cool off! :-)

Good luck, enjoy and congrats!