Thank You !

I just wanted to add a quick note to thank everyone for their messages and comments. Your words are fueling me everyday as I work my way across this great country. I take nothing for granted; I know how fortunate I am. I count on you not only for my charities but to be with me in spirit everyday of this ride. I look forward to the days ahead and hope you are all doing well.

Update: REY DID IT! Friday, July 25, at 12:42 p.m., Rey arrived at Little Island Park in Virginia Beach, Va., completing his 3,700 mile journey. He was greeted by friends, co-workers and a group of more than 20 children from three local Boys & Girls Clubs, who thanked him for his fundraising. Congratulations to Rey for an incredible ride!

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Welcome!

Welcome to my adventure! My name is Rey Roy, and I’m a 46-year-old financial advisor from Fairfax, Va., setting off on the ultimate cycling challenge: Biking 3,700 miles across the U.S. in 39 days.

My journey begins June 17 in San Francisco and will finish July 25 in Virginia Beach. Along the way, I will have the support of the “Changing Gears” team, namely my wife Joan, my daughter Megan, the family dog Buster, and a few RV drivers who have graciously donated their time. The company that I work for, Edelman Financial Services in Fairfax, Va., has generously given me the time to complete my ride. I can't thank our communications department enough for helping me set up this blog.

My first goal is to raise money for two charities:
* The Boys and Girls Clubs of America, whose 4,300 clubs nationwide provide safe places for our young people to learn, grow and reach their full potential; and
* The Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund, which supports our severely wounded military personnel and the families of military members lost in service to our nation.

Please consider supporting my 3,700-mile ride with a per-mile donation of one cent ($37) or ten cents ($370) today. Actually, any amount is welcome.

Click on the “Donate Now” links to make your donation and track my progress toward reaching my goal of raising $50,000 for each group.

My second goal is to fulfill a longtime dream and push myself to my peak endurance level. I look forward to the days ahead. Thank you for coming along on my ride.

My Ride at a Glance
Dates: June 17-July 25
Distance: 3,700 miles
Length: 39 days
Daily Goal: 70 to 130 Miles
Daily Time on the Road: 5 to 8 hours
Rest Period: 4 days
Highest Peak: 11,312 feet (Monarch Pass)

3 comments:

REGINA said...

HI REY, I MISS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ALREADY. DINNER WAS GREAT LAST NIGHT IN GUNNSION COLORADO. BIKE SAFE OVER MONARCH, AND HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME ACROSS AMERICA. RIDE ON ENJOY THE VIEWS OF THE WEST. LOVE YOUR CUZ REGINA

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Rey! Watch yourself in those Colorado mountains. It's too beautiful and you might decide not to continue on. Utah is a threat for that, too!

Guy Owen, Hyattsville, MD

Anonymous said...

Hi Rey,
Was a little concernced on the beginning of your trek. but I kept hope alive and prayed that you would get the strength to endure. I am so proud of you and that you are hanging in there. That is what it is all about. Fighting a good fight running a good race to the end. Just finish. Never give up.