Thank You !

I just wanted to add a quick note to thank everyone for their messages and comments. Your words are fueling me everyday as I work my way across this great country. I take nothing for granted; I know how fortunate I am. I count on you not only for my charities but to be with me in spirit everyday of this ride. I look forward to the days ahead and hope you are all doing well.

Update: REY DID IT! Friday, July 25, at 12:42 p.m., Rey arrived at Little Island Park in Virginia Beach, Va., completing his 3,700 mile journey. He was greeted by friends, co-workers and a group of more than 20 children from three local Boys & Girls Clubs, who thanked him for his fundraising. Congratulations to Rey for an incredible ride!

Thursday, July 10, 2008

July 10th — Chaunte, KS to Willard, MO — 135 miles Well, we did it again! Since we were ahead of schedule from yesterday’s ride, I thought let’s keep up the momentum and see if we can go further than the planned destination of Golden City, MO. We hit the MO border late in the morning, and I was feeling good (better than yesterday anyway). Today we decided to push for Willard, about 45 miles past Golden City. For tomorrow's ride, that will set us up in good shape and possibly put us a day ahead if we can keep up the momentum. If we do end up a day ahead, we will use that extra day for Mark's departure this Sunday and drive him to the airport in St. Louis and spend some time there as well.

Southern Missouri is, of course, very rural as small farms and fields dot the landscape. The terrain has moved from flat to rolling hills as we climb up a bit in elevation. At the border of MO, there was a small store where the woman who runs the place said that a lot of bicyclists were traveling east to west this year. I have noticed that as well, as I have passed about 10 cyclists going west in the past few days and none going east. I think it is more difficult, of course, going west just due to the winds. I expect tomorrow we will have more climbing as we get deeper into the Ozark Mountains. We are in a northeastern track to get across Missouri so I am hoping the winds will be in our direction the next couple of days.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi All,

I hope you are all doing good, Rey everytime I read your messages I am so moved by what you are doing. You are pretty amazing. You are all sacrificing so much to complete this journey. I wish I could be there with you. I love all of the pictures. Make sure you listen to Joan, Megan and Mark they are your support right now. Keep safe and I love you, your SIS Deb!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rey, your doing great....Keep up the good work. I am so proud of you! Can't wait to see you guys the 22nd.Aunt Irene and Cindy says hi.They are amazed at what you're doing.Everyone is following you're trip in Pa. love you all.. Mom

Unknown said...

Hey Rey . . . Tom here. Have been checking out your blog with much interest these past few weeks. The pics and descriptions of the ride are great and the magnitude of your ride segments are nothing short of phenomenal. You are, as they say, a biking animal!!!

We happen to be up here in Deep Creek right now and I'm actually sitting here looking out across the lake dirctly at a place I think you know well. It's a beautiful sunny day and the water is very refreshing. The lake awaits your return!!!

Keep up the great work, ride safe and we'll see you soon.

Tom

Anonymous said...

You are a great American Rey! What a model of what this country is all about. Hard working with ample sacrifice to meet the goal. Thank you for doing this. The 2 charities you are riding to raise funds for are 2 of our favorites. We have gladly made a donation and hope for a safe journey and favorable weather conditions throughout your trip. Sending good thoughts towards you! :)