Thank You !

I just wanted to add a quick note to thank everyone for their messages and comments. Your words are fueling me everyday as I work my way across this great country. I take nothing for granted; I know how fortunate I am. I count on you not only for my charities but to be with me in spirit everyday of this ride. I look forward to the days ahead and hope you are all doing well.

Update: REY DID IT! Friday, July 25, at 12:42 p.m., Rey arrived at Little Island Park in Virginia Beach, Va., completing his 3,700 mile journey. He was greeted by friends, co-workers and a group of more than 20 children from three local Boys & Girls Clubs, who thanked him for his fundraising. Congratulations to Rey for an incredible ride!

Thursday, June 26, 2008

June 25th — Cedar City, UT to Escalante, UT 122 miles — This ride was one for the books: A big climb with large mileage to get to the much-needed rest day in Escalante. Started out at 6:45 a.m. to begin the ascent of the "Cedar Breaks" summit (10,500 ft.). We started the day at 6,000 ft. The good news was I was to ascend all morning (better than in the afternoon heat). The grade started out at 4% but the higher I climbed, the steeper the road became until it reached about 7%. All in all, it took me 3 hours to scale this monster of a hill. I was curious about the altitude, and it's effect on my climbing. As I reached 9,500 ft. I could feel the difference in my breathing. I felt slightly lightheaded, but I must have adapted because it did not last too long.

At the summit the view of the red rock formations in the canyon below was breathtaking. Mostly covered with white and red limestone, we received a quick lesson from the Forest Ranger on how the canyon formed. This ride was the most spectacular in terms of views so far. Now for the fun part! The descent was very cool; it lasted for miles, and the views were amazing.

I had to ascend two more big mountains, both at about 7,500 ft. My team was telling me that the last mountain had an elevation of 7,300 ft. "No problem," I said back to them on the radio, but they were not at the top. When they reached the top before me, they quickly realized it was 7,600 ft. with an 11% grade for the last mile. They tried to warn me on the radio, but I was busy with the climb; I heard something but I did not pay much attention.

Just then I looked up, and I saw what looked to be three roads above me. But wait! It was one road with 3 switchbacks 500 ft. above. What I couldn't believe was the grade! It went straight up to the point that I questioned if I could climb it at all. This was at the end of the day, so I just kept my head down and didn't look up until it was over. When I reached the top and the support vehicle, I was totally spent with not much left to give.

The best part of the day was an 18-mile descent where I didn't have to pedal for 30 minutes. From what the team was telling me, we averaged about 35 m.p.h. the entire way to Escalante. This was by far the best payoff for the day and, man, did I need it. 10 hours on the bike today.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rey, by the time you read this you will have finished your first week, ridden hundreds of miles, and climbed thousands of mountains. Pretty amazing!

If you got through this week you can get through anything! You should be reeeeaaaaally proud of yourself; the rest of us would have given up at the first hill!

Keep up great work. I don't know how you have the energy to do the blog, too. I especially like the pictures!

Deb Smith

BB said...

good run so far - keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rey,

This is Kelly Gifford - Mike Gifford's wife. Mike passed on your site as he knew I'd enjoy following along with your amazing journey. I just had to post to say WAY TO GO!! Just incredible - you are truly an inspiration. Keep it up!!!

Kelly

Anonymous said...

Hey Rey: The no pedaling part sounds good! Sounds like an awesome trip -- we are cheering you on back here at the ranch. Take care & send more pics!
Kala from Edelman

Anonymous said...

Rey.. We are amazed that you made those inclines!!!! Just knew though that you would do it.Keep it up!!We love you...Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Rey, We are thinking of you and truly amazed at your ambition and strength!! Keep up the spirit! Let Joan and Megan know we are thinking of you all!! We will keep following!

Lisa and Lauren

Anonymous said...

Hey Rey,

I am so amazed by how many mountains you have climbed and the scenery is just beautiful. I hope you are able to enjoy it even though you are probably so focused on just riding. The boys have been following along daily as well. They are pretty proud of their uncle. You are definitely the adventurous one in the family! Keep up the good work and I hope you are all doing well.

Love you, Deb

Anonymous said...

Hey Rey, Joan and Meg!
This is way cool and can't wait to see all the pics you have. What an amazing journey!! Does Lance know what you are doing? Can't wait to see you guys. The kids are loving the pictures. We love you!!
Sue, Manny, Georgie and Angela

Anonymous said...

Rey,
When my work out starts to get tough I will be picturing your climbs!
The eclipse chaser in me wants you to be sure to take advantage of the dark skies and wide open spaces. The night sky is amazing when not blocked by light pollution.
Rest well and stay safe. we are pulling for you.
Bonnie and Dan P

Anonymous said...

Rey,

Incredible journey. We all are cheering you along. I can't imagine what it takes to ride at those altitudes. Breath deep, take it all in, and most of all share the trip with your loved ones.

The Philosopher