Thank You !

I just wanted to add a quick note to thank everyone for their messages and comments. Your words are fueling me everyday as I work my way across this great country. I take nothing for granted; I know how fortunate I am. I count on you not only for my charities but to be with me in spirit everyday of this ride. I look forward to the days ahead and hope you are all doing well.

Update: REY DID IT! Friday, July 25, at 12:42 p.m., Rey arrived at Little Island Park in Virginia Beach, Va., completing his 3,700 mile journey. He was greeted by friends, co-workers and a group of more than 20 children from three local Boys & Girls Clubs, who thanked him for his fundraising. Congratulations to Rey for an incredible ride!

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Departure Complete

June 17th — San Francisco to Folsom, CA 120 miles Tuesday, June 17, at 7 a.m. we departed Ocean Beach just south of the Golden Gate Bridge. San Francisco welcomed us with a fog bank for our start. California sure is a bike-friendly state with bike lanes and bike trails that provided me with a sense of comfort on our first day.

The temperature was high, around 90 degrees, in Sacramento as I passed through. It was quite a shock to the body since I have not ridden in that kind of heat this year. I made it to Folsom fine, although very exhausted. Ten hours on the bike for the day.

June 18th — Folsom to Woodfords, CA 106 miles Wednesday, June 18, at 7 a.m. we left Folsom with a good temperature, around the mid 60s. This is the day I was worried about since planning this trip. The day was all about climbing in high altitude from 500 to 8,500 ft to the top of Kit Carson Pass.

The worry wasn't necessarily the altitude, although I haven't biked at 8,500 ft. The concern was the grade of the climb, and it proved to be the case. I left Folsom at 7:00 a.m. and did not arrive at camp until 7:30 p.m. after covering 106 miles. It was a very long day, but I made it up fine. Just barely, but fine.

Today we encountered a group of college students who were selflessly giving up their summer to ride for those who are disabled. The name of the ride is Journey of Hope. Out of about 40 riders, I met a small number of the group on our way to the summit of Carson Pass. The Sierra pines were gorgeous along the way, but that gave me little comfort and I kept climbing to the summit. Another 10-hour day.

June 19th — Woodfords to Fallen, NV 102 miles Thursday, June 19, at 7:30 a.m. we started the day at about 40 degrees, and when we ended the day it was around 90 degrees. This was mostly a descending day, working my way down from 8,000 ft to about 4,400 ft. I thought we would get a picture of the Nevada border welcoming us, but there was no sign on this secondary road. Bummer. But there were a lot of cows on the road!

The coolest town we went through was Genoa, and it was good timing as the townspeople were reenacting the Pony Express Route, which was one of the reasons I selected the San Francisco to Pueblo, Colorado, route. At one point I even got a chance to race one of the riders along the route, which was the coolest thing! Six hours on the bike today.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're great

Anonymous said...

sounds like things are going well out there. our thoughts are with you all. We're holdin down the fort in Haymarket.

Kelli

Anonymous said...

Good going Rey!!! Dad and I are so proud of you.Glad to know your doing O.K. Talk to you soon.

Anonymous said...

Hope those westerly winds keep you moving in the right direction. We will follow your progress and keep you in our prayers. Glad to hear Buster made it okay.
Dr. P

Anonymous said...

Hia uncle rey how have you been doing lately this is taylor your nephew by the way. I just want to say your an awesome uncle and I hope your trip is going well so far.

p.s. hi auntie joanie megan and uncle joe. oh yeah also BUSTER.

hope you are doing well.

Anonymous said...

Sup uncle rey hope your doing well. Keep your head up and look all around your surrounding and i will see you in Maryland in August

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart. I heard about your trip on the Ric Edelman Show (online). You are doing God's work. Keep it up.

Kiran.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rey Good luck with your trip. We think this is an awesome thing your doing. Aunt Gladys