Thank You !

I just wanted to add a quick note to thank everyone for their messages and comments. Your words are fueling me everyday as I work my way across this great country. I take nothing for granted; I know how fortunate I am. I count on you not only for my charities but to be with me in spirit everyday of this ride. I look forward to the days ahead and hope you are all doing well.

Update: REY DID IT! Friday, July 25, at 12:42 p.m., Rey arrived at Little Island Park in Virginia Beach, Va., completing his 3,700 mile journey. He was greeted by friends, co-workers and a group of more than 20 children from three local Boys & Girls Clubs, who thanked him for his fundraising. Congratulations to Rey for an incredible ride!

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

June 23rd — Ely, NV to Halfway Summit, UT 90 Miles — We were scheduled to travel from Ely, NV to Baker, NV and log in 68 miles, which would have have set up the next day for 120 miles. Leaving Ely I had to make a few climbs to Baker, NV, including Connors Pass (7,722 ft.) and Sacramento Pass (7,154 ft.). Both climbs were around 7% grades at the steepest part and were challenging, but in the back of my mind I could not get the mileage out of my head for the next day. So when we arrived in Baker, NV, I asked everyone if they were up for adventure.

Instead of staying at a KOA in Baker, we decided to press on for the Utah border and stay at one of the summits in Utah overnight. All we would have to do is find a level spot to rest for the night. So we pressed on and made the Utah border! We took pictures of the border sign and since I missed the Nevada sign (actually there wasn't a sign), I walked across the street and took a picture of the Nevada sign.

I pressed on for the next summit, and then it happened: My first major crosswind at about 20 m.p.h. just slowed me to a crawl for 25 miles. But eventually I reached Halfway Summit at about 6,100 ft. There we found a great spot and spent the night. The weather was perfect and the night was spectacular. I think two or three cars passed by all night, that is how remote we were. Since the nearest town was more than 30 miles away it was pitch black on the summit. The stars were amazing.

No comments: